We have had the pleasure of taking care of tiny turd Menace for a bit more than a month now and we have noticed that he is everything that Rascal is not and Rascal is everything Menace is not hahah. They are different in every single way they can possibly be different, the good and the bad.
So today I thought I'd share their differences with you guys haha!
1. Menace is a cocky bastard, super brave and picks a fight all day every day. Rascal is the most kind, friendly, non-aggressive pup ever and would never hurt a fly. Not even his super annoying younger brother who bites him in the lips all day every day.
2. Some dogs are very annoyed by squeaky toys and what some owners might consider the dog "playing" with the toy, is actually the dog trying to kill the sound inside of it (like it would kill a wild animal they had caught). With Rascal we never experienced this. He never cared about the squeak and he just played nice with all toys. Menace on the other hand... boy oh boy. No squeaky toys for him, that's for damn sure! (It's super stressful for them to not be able to kill the sound, so we need to keep 'em away from him or just remove the squeaky plastic thing inside).
3. Carrots!! Some dogs love 'em, some don't. Rascal likes shredding pieces of carrot and leaving it all over the floor and the walking away. He would never ever eat a piece unless he had to. Menace nukes a piece of carrot like it's his fave snack ever haha!
4. When Rascal was a puppy he would ALWAYS tell us when he needed to pee, if he was in bed or on the couch or somewhere were he did not feel comfortable peeing. This was very nice 'cause then we could simply take him out when it was time. Menace.... he does NOT mind peeing and pooping where he sleeps haha. So we have had to use different tactics when it comes to house training him. But it's getting better. He's learning!
5. Rascal LOVES people. He doesn't give a hoot about other dogs really, but people... oh my... People are the best things in the universe. Menace loves Rascal. He doesn't care if we have visitors or if people on the street want to say hello to him. He just gets excited that Rascal gets excited and runs after him haha!
6. It took a few months before Rascal became comfortable with the claw cutting. Menace doesn't even notice that we're cutting them when we are. He's the most chill pupper ever.
7. Rascal still has "abandonment issues", meaning that if we are in another room and he can't join us he'll whine like crazy until we come back (we never go back until he stops whining, so we don't encourage it). He is perfectly fine when he knows we have left the apartment but he can't stand knowing we're so close but still so far away. Menace is not "perfect" when it comes to being alone, of course, he's only a baby. But already now we can tell that he has no problems with us leaving the room for a while. He's very secure and calm in general.
8. Menace has no problems walking on a leash or wearing the harness. Granted he doesn't enjoy putting it on over his head but he walks great during our tiny walks with him. Rascal refused to walk for so long. But of course it's easier to walk nicely when you have a big brother to guide the way!
9. Menace likes to destroy things. He chews on furniture, chews walls, pulls down curtains, steals our shoes... everything! Of course Rascal could be a bit mischievous as well as a puppy, but I can see in Menace's eyes that he does it to piss us off. ;)
10. THE BARKING. Oh my goodness. Rascal has barked about 5 times in two years, and only when he got surprised or scared by something. Rascal just whines (constantly). Menace doesn't whine. He barks, screams and howls. Which I guess is more normal for dogs than that you're lucky and get a silent dog like Rascal. But since we have no experience with a vocal, barky dog it's a struggle to deal with it. All tips are welcome! It's not a crazy huge problem that we struggle with every day, that would definitely be an exaggeration. It has become a lot better since he got here and learned that barking doesn't lead to anything. But it's still annoying that he goes to barking as soon as he's upset about something or in a SUPER playful mood.
Of course a lot of these things might change as Rascal gets older and Menace grows into an adult, but these are some funny personality differences we have noticed in them so far. It's crazy how every new thing we learn about Menace is the complete opposite of Rascal. ^^